Monday, October 05, 2009

People make places

It was when we managed to get to NAL stop after about an hour of walking; I turned to A and remarked “We are going to get home soon.” He smirked excitedly, nodding his head, letting his very shiny long hair fall smooth on his shoulders.

So that is how this has happened. Slowly and unsteadily this city is becoming home for us. Hesitant, we are extending our hands to make friends.We are letting go yesterdays, albeit unwillingly.

I now know that I have to take a right after 'PapaJones' to get to 'Sagar Arcade' and that I would find ‘Vaishali’ after I cross the ‘chocolate toast’ shop. I now take pride in knowing where I can get the best ‘dabeli’ on the way back home and where I can shop for those inexpensive footwear.

Places make people

It seems to me that I’m not directionless anymore, not surely alien to the hoardings at the signals, for I know how to walk back home from FC road. I sit alone at Barista and see how different FC road is from Commercial street, Linking Road, Ranganathan theru, Charminar, Sarojini Market and yet so similar.

Strangely now, I seem to be saying “ho” in place of “haan” and relishing poha more than upma. I seem to be making random inane conversations with new friends, without feeling distraught and alone. I now know how genda smells differently from mallige and how october showers are almost as good as ‘margazhi’. It now seems to be that the landmark sale at 'SGS' is better than the one at 'Forum', and marathi women are as friendly as the kannada ones albeit their fully covered faces.

Every time I’m out travelling, I crave to get back to pune; sit by the balcony, sip the filter coffee, and watch rains adorn the dusks.Slowly I’m slipping into spaces, where all cities merge as one; only it seems that there are different seasons that visit different cities alternatively, at different times. Strangely enough, I like this season in here.

So that is how this has happened. Slowly and unsteadily this city is becoming home for us. Hesitant, we are extending our hands to make friends. We are letting go yesterdays, albeit unwillingly.


No comments: